Saturday, February 2, 2013
Noodles
Noodles are a way of life in Vietnam. The people eat them at least once a day - traditionally for breakfast in the form of delicious pho (noodle soup, usually with either chicken or beef), but they turn up in other meals as well (stir fried with vegetables or meat, for example). If you think rice would be the primary starch in Vietnam given that it is the world's largest producer/exporter of the grain, you'd be right - but that's only because the noodles are various types of rice noodles (no wheat pasta here). White rice is eaten as well (I had many meals in which BOTH noodles and rice were featured - carb overload!) - but honestly, noodles trump all. The pho is just off the hook - rich broth, meaty bits, piles of fresh herbs and greens, and of course, oodles of those noodles - it quickly became an addiction for me while in country, one that I'm not so sure I'm eager to break now that I'm home. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) sidewalk noodle stalls don't dot every block here in the Napa Valley as they do on each and every street of each and every city, town and village of Vietnam (pho is not typically made at home - this standard breakfast is more affordable/efficient to be eaten on the street en route to work or school)... so my pho problem will remain in check I suspect. Le sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment