Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ha Long Bay


One of my favorite excursions on this Vietnam journey was a visit to Ha Long Bay, way up in the north of the country bordered by the storied Gulf of Tonkin, and just a stone's throw from the Chinese border. (Pictured above, the famous "Fighting Cocks" limestone karsts.) The Bay contains approximately 2,000 islets or karsts, dramatically jutting like dragon's teeth from the water. We lazily toured a corner of this magnificent UNESCO site by boat for an afternoon. Unfortunately for our group of photographers, the overcast, gray day did not lend itself to the spectacular postcard-style photos that typically emerge from Ha Long Bay, so my shots do not do this magical place justice. I mostly just sat and watched the scenery go by instead of working the camera too hard. The only thing that would have made the day better was if I were actually on the water in a kayak. But at least I got to see this beautiful place for myself, and for that I am grateful.







No comments:

Post a Comment